Care New England
in Rhode Island
(Published at 18-11-2019)
Butler Hospital Position: Partial Hospital Utilization Review /Discharge Planner, Per Diem
- Works with patient and family to assess discharge planning needs.
- Ensures each patient has a transition plan prior to discharge.
- Assists patients in exploring barriers to a seamless transition plan.
- Works with patients to empower them to engage and participate in the transition planning processes, and educates them to the importance of following up with aftercare as part of wellness.
- Collaborates with families in the transition planning process.
- Conduct additional groups on the unit as needed.
- And other duties as assigned.
In collaboration with the team, contributes to defining the need for further resources and services for patients.
- Is able to communicate data to the treatment team in a clear and concise manner.
- Participates in team meetings and huddles as needed.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of ethnic, cultural, socioeconomic gender and lifestyle issues.
- Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of concrete service and discharge planning needs for the adult psychiatric population
- Picks up patients from admissions area and orients them to the hospital and program.
- Conducts vital signs on new admissions to the program and documents.
- Obtains Releases of Information for outpatient providers as directed.
- And other duties as assigned.
- Completes documentation of releases, assessment and other appropriate forms within prescribed time frames.
- Documents significant patient and family encounters as well as contacts with other professionals and community agencies.
- Notifies outpatient providers of PHP admission and documents
- Documents educational interventions and responses.
- Completes Butler Care Planning Discharge documentation in AVATAR prior to patient discharge.
- Performs all initial reviews of all (100%) cases within 24 hours as assigned.
- Performs all concurrent review procedures: pre-admission, admission, continued stay and discharge utilizing established hospital criteria as well as criteria set by ERO as assigned.
- Manages the process of retrospective reviews and appeals according to department policy and external requirements as assigned.
- Coordinates on site reviews with clinical teams and ERO’s.
- Manages the process of denial of benefits according to regulatory agency requirements and insures notification of both internal and external customers.
- Maintains accurate and up to date written and computerized records of all cases and all cases in review.
- Regularly provides feedback to clinical team on benefits and utilization issues related to case.
- Maintains computer skills necessary to complete all work.
- Attends supervision on regular basis and seeks consultation when necessary
- Participates in own performance appraisal by reviewing progress with department head or designee and by identifying own individual goals in any areas needing improvement.
- Reviews literature, attends conferences within and/or outside Butler Hospital system to maintain/improve skills and knowledge base.
- Regularly reviewed department Policy and Procedure Manual
- Regularly attends yearly Education Fair
- Is knowledgeable about Risk Management, safety and Infection Control procedures demonstrated by compliance with requirements
- Consistently adheres to Butler Hospital?s service standards
§ Reports to: Director of Care Management and Social Services, or Program/Nurse Manager of the PHP
- Supervises: BSW students as assigned
- Other Relationships:
- With Partial team members and Director
- With other Social Services staff members, including secretarial support staff
- With chief of unit where assigned
- With Clinical staff in other areas of the hospital
§ Education: BA/BSW/ MSW
§ Training and Experience: Training or experience in a psychiatric facility is helpful
but not absolutely necessary. Trained in Social Work
Training and/or experience relevant to the specific population served is necessary for care planners with primary assignments to specialty units or continuing Education/In-service in that area will be required
- Special Qualifications: Interest in and commitment to the programs at Butler
Hospital and the Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior at Brown University
- Physical and Mental: Able to do a moderate amount of walking and tolerate the stress and multiple demands of working in a fast-paced environment dealing with a multidisciplinary staff and difficult patient population.