Staunton City Schools, located in historic Staunton, Virginia in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley, is seeking highly qualified applicants to fill a Secretary position at Staunton High School for the remainder of the 2019-20 academic school year.
220 Day (Employment) Notice
Start Date: Early/Mid-December 2019
Position opened until filled.
STAUNTON CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
JOB TITLE: School Secretary
LOCATION: All Schools
PAY SCALE: SPT 210, SPT 220 and SPT 240
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
The School Secretary performs a variety of general office clerical duties and technical work in coordinating the schools? student information system including attendance, discipline, and time keeping (KRONOS), as assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS:
The minimum performance expectations include, but are not limited to, the following functions/tasks:
- Serves as secretary to the administration;
- Provides information; prepares correspondences and related matters; prepares and maintains files and records; assists teachers, parents and students;
- Maintains and respects confidentiality of student and school personnel information;
- Serves as a receptionist, receives and greets persons or groups calling on building administrator(s); answers telephones, provides information, takes and dispatches messages;
- Records daily attendance and calls from parents for absent students;
- Communicates orally and in writing effectively with school personnel, parents, and the general public;
- Maintains records of excessive student absences, tardies and unexcused absences;
- Processes general correspondence, memorandum, reports, schedules, manuals, bulletins, agendas, and other materials from rough draft, copy, marginal notes, or verbal instruction;
- Answers correspondence as directed by building administrator(s);
- Maintains appointment calendar, schedules appointments, conferences, and meetings;
- Maintains records and generates appropriate reports;
- Receives, sorts and processes mail;
- Operates standard office equipment to include, word-processing and data processing equipment, copiers, laminators, etc.;
- Supplies routine information to staff members, building administrator(s), and others;
- Completes accident and workers? compensation forms;
- Makes announcements on public address system;
- Assists with scheduling substitutes and maintaining attendance records as assigned by administrator;
- Photocopies and prepares booklets, handouts, and general correspondences for building administration and;
- Performs related tasks as assigned by building administrator(s) in accordance with the school/policies and practices.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
General knowledge of standard office practices, procedures, equipment and secretarial techniques; thorough knowledge of business English, spelling and arithmetic; ability to word process accurately and at a reasonable rate of speed; ability to make arithmetical calculations; ability to meet the public effectively; ability to operate a variety of office equipment; ability to organize and multi-task; skill in the use and manipulation of data and word processing; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; ability to follow oral and written instructions.
QUALIFICATIONS/EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school including or supplemented by courses in office practices and procedures and clerical and secretarial experience. Training in and fluency with and Microsoft Office® software required. Training in and fluency with Student Information Systems (PowerSchool) is preferred.
This is sedentary work requiring stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, pulling, routine lifting up to approximately 20 pounds, grasping, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word, and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly, or quickly; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operation of machines, and determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job. Daily personal and close contact with students is required. Regular contact with other staff members and parents is required.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The School Secretary will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the Principal or appropriate administrator. Staunton City Schools reserves the right to update, revise or change this job description and related duties at any time.
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with the school board policy and administrative regulations on evaluation of support staff personnel.
Approved by: Director of Human Resources
Date: March 2013