The World Bank Group
in District of Columbia
(Published at 14-11-2019)
Job #: req5005
Organization: World Bank
Sector: Administration/Office Support
Term Duration: 2 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Location: Washington, DC,United States
Required Language(s): English
Closing Date: 11/28/2019 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
- Provide back-up support to the Senior Executive Assistant with the General Counsel?s calendar scheduling of internal/external meeting. Prepare Board, Committee and briefing binders as needed; respond to emails, phone calls and request in general regarding the General Counsel?s time and availability.
- Perform a full range of office support work within a team, a significant part of the job entails provision of some specialized support (e.g., database management, knowledge management, task management, major event/course planning, etc.).
- Assist group of counsels with all word processing requirements, including formatting MIGA?s Contracts of Guarantee and other documents as requested.
- Review and proofread draft documents, identify issues and inconsistencies for additional review by lawyers.
- Serve as an information resource on status of projects/products (e.g. procurement, disbursement, audit, trust fund/co-financing, and legal issues) and drafts a variety of standard project-related correspondence.
- Prepare first drafts of routine correspondence.
- Assist in maintaining institutional and working files.
- Screen incoming calls and respond to routine inquiries regarding MIGLC?s work program.
- Provide support for mission travel, knowledge management, special events, activities and general administrative tasks.
- Assist the legal analyst and paralegal with host country approval requests and membership matters.
- Undertake ad hoc inquiries in standard and non-standard databases, retrieves, manipulates and presents data.
- Coordinate with other Bank Group Units and frequent liaison with team members, regardless of location, and external counterparts.
- Undertake ad hoc tasks as determined by MIGLC?s work program and work as a team to support staff in the unit.
The World Bank Group
Established in 1944, the WBG is one of the world?s largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions. In fiscal year 2018, the WBG committed $67 billion in loans, grants, equity investments and guarantees to its members and private businesses, of which $24 billion was concessional finance to its poorest members. It is governed by 188-member countries and delivers services out of 120 offices with nearly 15,000 staff located globally.
The WBG consists of five specialized institutions: the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), the International Development Association (IDA), the International Finance Corporation (IFC), the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA), and the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID).
Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA or the Agency)
The Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA or the Agency) is seeking a Program Assistant for its Legal Affairs and Claims Group.
Innovation and partnership bond the five institutions of the World Bank Group (WBG): the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD); the International Development Association (IDA); the International Finance Corporation (IFC); the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA); and the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). The World Bank Group is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries. It uses financial resources and extensive experience to help our client countries to reduce poverty, increase economic growth, and improve quality of life. To ensure that countries can access the best global expertise and help generate cutting-edge knowledge, the World Bank Group is constantly seeking to improve the way it works. Key priorities include delivering measurable results, promoting openness and transparency in development, and improving access to development information and data.
In the context of the World Bank Group?s broad development agenda, MIGA is committed to promoting foreign direct investment in its member countries by issuing guarantees against non-commercial risks (political risk insurance) to investors and lenders, covering expropriation, breach of contract, currency transfer restrictions, war and civil disturbance, and non-honoring of financial obligations of sovereigns, sub sovereigns and state-owned enterprises. Please visit www.miga.org for additional information regarding MIGA.
The Legal Affairs and Claims Group in MIGA (known as ?MIGLC?) serves as the legal counsel for MIGA, and provides legal advice relating to the governance, operations, and other activities of the Agency. Among its principal responsibilities, MIGLC advises MIGA?s Council of Governors, Board of Directors and senior management, negotiates and drafts contracts of guarantee, manages all claims proceedings, facilitates discussions between investors and governments related to disputes and potential claims, oversees outside counsel, supports MIGA?s internal departments in risk and policy analysis, finance and risk management and external outreach, and promotes innovation and knowledge sharing in support of MIGA?s mission.
MIGA is seeking for a Program Assistant to provide a wide range of administrative and secretarial support to MIGLC. The position is based in Washington DC.
The incumbent will work with a team of lawyers, legal analyst and paralegal and will contribute to the smooth operation of the office in collaboration with the Senior Executive Assistant. Success factors for the position are: sound judgment, confidentiality, discretion and diplomacy; ability to work in a team-oriented multi-cultural environment; excellent organizational and technology skills, as well as initiative and a positive attitude.
The WBG is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Duties and Accountabilities
Main areas of responsibilities include:
- HS diploma and 7 years of administrative support experience (preferably law firm experience) or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Advanced working skills in multiple computer software applications (e.g. WORD, EXCEL, POWERPOINT, OUTLOOK, JABBER, ONEDRIVE, ADOBE, SHAREPOINT).
- Knowledgeable of WBG policies and procedures (e.g. LARS, TRS, P&P Framework, WBDocs) preferable .
- Ability to execute diverse and intricate work procedures related to the timely processing and production of assigned outputs and supporting administrative activities.
- Ability to multi-task and effectively prioritize competing tasks to deliver high-quality output within tight deadline.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to make appropriate linkages in work requirements and to anticipate next steps.
- Excellent attention to detail, including proof reading documents for accuracy and entering information accurately.
- Committed, dedicated team player with the ability to deal tactfully and effectively with challenges in a multi-cultural environment.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) including ability to draft routine correspondence and edit materials.
- Effective time management and organizational skills.
- Good judgment and tact when handling sensitive issues.
- Proficiency in using advanced functions of World Bank standard computer applications (MS office).
- Working knowledge and skills as defined in the WBG Core Competencies.
- High degree of flexibility, and a demonstrated capacity to handle a variety of multiple concurrent activities, to prioritize and balance competing demands under pressure, while maintaining attention to detail;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, respond to, and deal effectively in diverse situations with good judgment, discretion, and diplomacy in handling confidential and sensitive matters
– Client Orientation – Able to interact with clients with discretion and diplomacy. Demonstrates ability to resolve complex client related issues. Displays understanding of relevant internal and external factors and their impact to the client.
– Drive for Results – Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results, and has the personal organization to do so.
– Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion – Collaborates with other team members and contributes productively to the team’s work and output, demonstrating respect for different points of view.
– Knowledge, Learning and Communication – Able to communicate in a constructive and professional manner. Can assist in the preparation of written materials in accordance with WB administrative guidelines and best practices. Able to contribute to unit’s knowledge sharing.
– Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making – Able to effectively and independently provide general research support. Demonstrates ability to assess situation, and make sound judgment on action needed.
Poverty has no borders. Neither does excellence. This is why we continually search for qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds from around the globe. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.