Urbana School District #116
TITLE: Elementary Attendance Secretary
LOCATION: Flossie Wiley Elementary School
JOB SUMMARY: The responsibility of the Attendance Secretary is to perform general secretarial and clerical duties to support the Principal and to assist him/her with all matters associated with student attendance.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- Maintain records of calls from parents/guardians regarding student absences from school.
- Greet parents, students, and other community members in the building and direct them as needed.
- Issue admittance slips to students upon return to school from an absence.
- Perform general secretarial/clerical work for the Principal, including preparing letters and correspondence, copying, answering telephone calls, coordinating scheduling and filing.
- Assist other staff with phone calls to parents/guardians regarding their child?s absence from school.
- Confer with the teachers and assist them with secretarial/clerical duties as directed.
- Operate the attendance computer system.
- Record and edit information on daily student attendance reports.
- Possess and maintain knowledge of the District?s policies and procedures pertaining to student attendance and discipline.
- Possess and maintain knowledge of the contents of the Student/Parent Handbook.
- Assist with monitoring students who assist in the attendance office during the school year.
- Answer the Principal?s phone line and assist with answering and referring other phone calls.
- Maintain District Cum Record files throughout the school year, i.e. attendance, teacher assignment, grade level information.
- Assist with duties assigned to the Principal.
- Perform any and all additional duties as assigned by the Principal, certificated staff and support personnel.
Minimum of a High School Diploma or Equivalent.
- Minimum of 3 years of secretarial/clerical experience preferred.
- Experience with typing, computers, word processing, spread sheets and working with office equipment such as copiers and fax machines.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with the public.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality in regard to student records.
- Strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently with a variety of different personnel at the District.
- Strong public relations skills and ability to interact with a wide variety of people from diverse backgrounds.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Salary is determined by the Board of Education. Ten month work year.
EVALUATION: Level I Clerical Position. Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board?s policy on evaluation of support personnel.
NOTE: This is not a position within the collective bargaining unit and is not an administrative position.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
REVISED: November 2009