Location: New York
- 3+ years industry experience developing complex technology projects.
- Experience with SOA and OOD.
- Lead and design technology solution in large, cross functional projects.
- Experience of developing Web-based products and technologies.
- Bachelor?s degree or above in CS, EE or related technical field.
- Good communication skills with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Passion for technical innovation and learning new systems/technologies.
- Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as Java, C++, C#.
We are looking for a talented Software Development Engineer who will be responsible for designing and developing engaging and innovative shopping experience oriented to expecting parents and parents of young children on Amazon. In this job, you will work with the retail organization as well as the broader Amazon community. Primarily you will be responsible for executing on customer experience and retail system integration. You will work directly with the product/program management, design and QA team, and the broader Amazon tech community to build software solutions to enhance the shopping experience across all surfaces, including desktop, mobile devices, and other Amazon innovative devices.
About the team
The Amazon Family and Baby Registry teams have long worked closely together to reach expecting parents and parents of young children. In 2018, we combined these two teams into one Parent Experience (PX) organization to better position our program for growth and agility.
The PX team?s vision is to reach ?every parent, every day? globally by positioning Amazon as a preferred retailer for expecting (especially first-time) parents through parents of children age 5 or under, unlocking the full potential of parent customers for all of Amazon. There is significant competition to reach this customer segment because when customers become pregnant and subsequently have a child, their overall purchases increase, their choice of retailers are consolidated, and they have a higher likelihood to shop online due to a greater need for convenience. Our objective is to identify, engage, and delight this highly attractive customer segment. Our mission to achieve our vision globally is to make parents? lives easier, helping them to navigate what can often be an overwhelming process of researching how to prepare for their child?s developmental milestones. We will do this by building scalable, self-service, and learning solutions that surface to parents what they need, when they need it and by creating personalized, parent-centric shopping experiences that are unique to the age & stage of their child(ren). Our three-pronged strategy to accomplish this is: 1) to build functionality to identify every parent on Amazon as early as possible, ideally prenatally; 2) to make parents? lives easier by recognizing and predicting shopping intent to show them what they need, when they need it (including content, products, and high-value actions (HVAs)); and 3) to accelerate the Amazon flywheel by using data to help our stakeholders reach parent customers more effectively.
The Challenges We Will Tackle
Our focus is building capabilities, learning model, and scalable systems/tools to identify and engage parents. Through these capabilities and systems, we will unlock unprecedented ability to reach these parents wherever they are, increasing the value that we bring to them, by surfacing new brands, products, and highly relevant offers and content with representation across all Amazon?s offerings and geographies.
Parent Experience will tackle some of the toughest problems, which stretches over both retail and digital world.
- Streamline the purchase experience across all Family associated product lines.
- Inspire our customers with comfortable and easy shopping experiences and relevant products.
- Personalize customer experience for both parent customers and their household members without the need for account switching to help them find useful information and best-choice products that match preference and style of each family member.
- Provide expert advice and information that help guide our customers in their purchase decision making process.
- Allow customers to create profile for each household member and use that to influence the shopping experience on Amazon.
- Improve the customer?s search/browse experience on the website by providing intelligent filter using user profile and life events.
In order to achieve our vision, we think big and tackle technology challenges. Where technology does not exist, we will build it. Where it exists we will need to tune/modify/improve it to make it well working at Amazon scale and fitting Parent Experience ecosystem. As the problem is so wide and the team new, we need members who are passionate and willing to learn and do innovation.
We have designed our technical architecture with the objective of increasing feature velocity, scalability and improving CX consistency, which enabling customization where needed. This architecture supports rapid experimentation, global simultaneous deployments, and self-service capabilities that allow our program team to build experiences without dev team involvement.
- Amazon scale systems. All our technology needs to work at Amazon scale, serving hundreds of millions of customers with millisecond level latencies.
- Big data & analytics. Amazon is data driven and a strong data backbone is necessary in our systems. We build up core AWS services such as EC2, S3, DynamoDB, etc.
- Personalization and machine learning. All technologies will be used in experiences adapted to what customer need, want or prefer. We will be working with advanced machine learning technologies to tackle these problems.
- User interface & web development. We will create beautiful and dynamic frontend experiences that requires deep knowledge of relevant technologies such as JQuery, Horizonte, AUI, etc.
- Besides traditional surfaces as desktop/mobile browser and mobile applications, we will build new customer interaction channel through smart-home devices.
Our Culture and You
We love challenging problems and like to move fast in a growing and changing environment. We use data to guide our decisions and we always push the technology and process boundaries of what is feasible on behalf of our customers. The most successful members of our team are obsessed with helping our customers in creative ways, bring clarity to ambiguity through data driven experimentation, and think big to build solution extensible enough to handle existing and upcoming use cases.
This team is a great fit for you if
- You like to work on projects that have a direct impact to millions of customers across the globe.
- You truly care about the business results of what you build, not just the elegance of the technology you build.
- You like work on the end to end stack (Platforms, UI, services, databases, distributed systems).
- You adapt to change well.
If that sounds like an environment you like, join us.
- 3+ years industry experience developing complex technology projects
- Experience with Agile methodologies.
- Experience in big data processing, text mining, and machine learning domains.
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project.
- Experience influencing software engineers best practices within your team.
- Knowledge of database systems and SQL
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity
Employer ? Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation