COMMUNITY HOSPITAL-GRAND JUNCTION, COLORADO
SUMMARY OF JOB:
- Monitors patient rhythms. Assists nurses and physicians with patient care. Provides unit secretarial services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
WHEN ASSIGNED AS CERTIFIED NURSING ASSISTANT:
1. Meets basic patient care needs and reports to nursing staff by:
- Responding to signal lights, bells, intercom system, and bed/tab alarms to determine the patients’ needs.
- Giving care and assistance to patients in respect to their personal hygiene, grooming activity, comfort, rest, nourishment and other health needs.
- Ensuring meals are ordered within dietary restrictions and collects food trays, feeds patients requiring help, and documents all nutritional and supplemental intake per unit protocols.
- Transporting patients or assisting patients to ambulate per physician orders.
- Turning and repositioning patients every two hours as indicated, alone or with assistance, to prevent skin breakdown and pressure ulcers.
- Applying compresses, ice bags, ted hose, scds, K-pads as indicated.
2. Completes basic patient data gathering by:
- Takes, records, and reports to RN temperature, blood pressure, pulse (O2 saturation) and respiration rates, height and weight, food and fluid intake/output as directed. Reports abnormal findings immediately to responsible nurse.
- Obtains fingerstick BG and reports results to RN. Reports abnormal findings immediately to responsible nurse.
- Follows all Universal Precautions and Blood-borne Pathogen protocols as outlined by hospital policy.
3. Maintains safe and clean environment within the patient and nursing unit by:
- Changes bed linens, directs visitors, and answers telephone.
- Picks up and organizes/stocks patient rooms as needed.
- Maintains therapeutic environment in patient service areas.
- Reports malfunctioning equipment, removes from use and files work order to assure proper operation.
4. Daily QA’s on Blood Glucose Machines
WHEN ASSIGNED TO WARD SECRETARY:
1. Completes secretarial duties under the direction of professional nursing staff
- Enters the physicians or L.I.P. orders in patient chart by utilizing Meditech order entry system, Medication Administration Records (MARs), and Meditech nursing module.
- Prepares charts for admissions, discharges, and transfers.
- Transcribes medications accurately onto the MAR
- Obtains medical records as requested.
- Schedules procedures under order of provider.
- Assures valuables sheet is complete on each admission.
- Maintains chart forms availability and breaks down charts after patients have been discharged.
2. Maintains the nursing station and provides clerical and nursing support by:
- Answers telephone and intercom calls and provides information or relays messages to nursing staff (using pager/tracker system), patients and medical staff.
- Directs visitors to patient rooms.
- Schedules provider appointments for inpatients who are being discharged as ordered.
- Scans all orders to Pharmacy and stamps them as such.
- Notifies RN’s, LPN’s, and assistants of new orders as appropriate.
- Assembles admission, transfer and discharge packets as needed.
- Monitors call system.
- Assists staff with patients as required.
- Assists with projects as directed.
- Performs clerical duties as assigned.
3. Maintains the environment of the nursing unit by:
- Participates in maintaining a professional, organized, clean department and safe work environment.
- Notify the department leaders and/or supervisors of any event that may cause processes to negatively affect patient care or processes.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or equivalent with at least six (6) months of Certified Nursing
Assistant experience; telemetry technical training and Ward Secretary training
equivalent combination of education and experience.
Current Colorado Certified Nursing Assistant