Job Type: Permanent
Reporting Relationship: SVP Metals
Argus is a market leader in providing market intelligence and price data on the world?s most actively traded commodity markets. Argus price benchmarks are used globally throughout the commodities sector for formula pricing in contracts, as a taxation reference, in investment planning and for a variety of other purposes.
Argus is seeking a Business Development Manager who is a subject matter expert on metals to raise Argus? profile, develop and nurture relationships with key stakeholders in the metals industry and promote the use of Argus price benchmarks. This strategic industry-facing role requires constant engagement with industry participants and continuous research to promote Argus Metals and to provide intelligence to inform strategic decisions for the business.
The Manager will represent Argus at industry conferences and events and will establish relationships with industry decision makers across the Americas. As part of engaging with the market, there will be a large focus on relationship building, making relevant connections, then successfully securing meetings to discuss the pain points in the industry and identify opportunities to better support trading.
Typical industry entities will include purchasing managers and traders, end users in aerospace and automotive manufacturers, producers as well as brokers, exchanges and government and regulatory entities. The position will focus on the Americas but will also assist with business development in Asia and the Europe where necessary.
- Drive industry adoption of Argus Metals indices and reporting services
- Develop and formulate commercial reasons for usage of Argus price indices
- Constantly demo the Argus Metal Platform and associated platform to clients and potential clients
- Meet, promote, and explain Argus price methodologies and services
- Drive usage of Argus prices in contracts
- Manage face-to-face meetings, calls, and other engagements to build new client business opportunities and develop on-going customer relations (i.e., producers, mills, secondary consumers, manufacturers, etc.)
- Maintain a database of market participants and trends
- Attend and/or speak at business conferences/events to market Argus?s services
- Build relationships with key industry associations and government agencies
- Help shape changes to Argus products and launches of new offerings in response to industry feedback
- Create meeting notes with actionable insights, which drive revenue and uncover new market opportunities
- Work with editorial to identify a market need to develop new data-sets, benchmarks, and product-offerings
- Create strategies that will increase usage of Argus products (e.g., increased reference to Argus prices in contracts, executive reports, and other benchmarks)
- Synthesize and communicate clear, concise take-aways that capture client needs
- Understand the line of questioning that will reveal the client?s data needs and have the product knowledge to identify the best Argus solution/price
- Develop and contribute to market intelligence [generalized]
- Develop and maintain rapport with key contacts, and liaise regularly with industry stakeholders (buyers, sellers, traders, brokers) to gain market intelligence
- Work with, and interview subject matter experts and research industry trends
- Provide subject-matter expertise to other Argus departments
- Work on special content or data-driven projects as needed.
- Contribute (as needed) to white papers, presentations, analysis and marketing materials
Other Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- The legal authorization to work in the US for any US employer
- A minimum of 4 years of prior experience with commodity markets preferred
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, economics, business, geography or relevant field
- Demonstrated goal-oriented collaboration skills, with strong diplomatic and problem-solving ability
- A strong understanding of economics and the role and practice of price reporting
- A commitment to the highest level of accuracy and compliance expected of market reporters
- Strong experience with Microsoft Office Suite with proficiency in Excel
- The willingness and ability to travel up to 50% of the time to fulfill the responsibilities of this position
- Relentless drive to arrange and attend meetings with industry participants
- Strong communication and networking skills needed to build and maintain customer relationships
- Spanish language skills preferred (for complete coverage of the Americas markets)
About Argus Media
Argus is an independent media organisation with almost 1,000 staff. It is headquartered in London and has 23 offices in the world?s principal commodity trading and production centres. Argus produces price assessments and analysis of international energy and other commodity markets and offers bespoke consulting services and industry-leading conferences.
Companies in 140 countries around the world use Argus data to index physical trade and as benchmarks in financial derivative markets as well as for analysis and planning purposes.
Argus was founded in 1970 and is a privately held UK-registered company. It is owned by employee shareholders and global growth equity firm General Atlantic.
Our rapidly-growing, award winning business offers a dynamic environment for talented, entrepreneurial professionals to achieve results and grow their careers. Argus recognizes and rewards successful performance and as an Investor in People, we promote professional development and retain a high-performing team committed to building our success.
- Competitive salary and company bonus scheme
- Group medical, dental, and vision plans
- Company paid long term disability and life insurance plan
- Group 401K plan with company match
- Subsidized gym membership
- Extensive internal and external training
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled