Position: Administrative Assistant
Department: Service Extension, Divisional Headquarters, 701 N. Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
Availability of Position: Immediate
Schedule: Full-Time – 35 hours/week
Reporting Relationship: Service Extension Manager/Director
Salary and Grade: $21.00 per hour; 77 Non-Exempt
The Salvation Army is hiring and offers truly excellent benefit package to eligible employees including:
- Generous paid time off every year that includes: holidays, up to 3 personal days, vacation time and sick time.
- Employer funded Pension Plan (company contributions begin after 1 year of employment)
- Comprehensive health care coverage with low cost employee premiums, co-pays and deductibles
- Eligibility for supplemental insurance plans including Short Term Disability, AFLAC and Voluntary Term Life
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Remitted Tuition Program
- Eligibility for the Federal Government?s Public Student Loan Forgiveness Program
- Most importantly ? a job with a good purpose!
- Find out about us , GPO: https://pa.salvationarmy.org/greater-philadelphia/GetToKnowUs
- Find out about us, EPA: https://pendel.salvationarmy.org/easternpa/GetToKnowUs
Position Overview: Performs administrative and secretarial duties for the Director of Service Extension Department.
The Mission Statement
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church.
Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God.
Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
1. Works to ensure that efficient and effective communication is maintained between Service Extension Department personnel and Divisional Headquarters staff.
2. Perform general office duties including but not limited to:
- Following procedures, places orders, and maintains adequate on hand inventory of office supplies.
- Drafts and types meeting notes, routine correspondence and reports in standard formats for approval/signature prior to distribution.
- Prepares accurate spreadsheets for various record keeping and analysis purposes.
- Collects and enters data as required into various databases, such as the Statistics Database.
- May be requested to prepare for presentation using such presentation software as PowerPoint.
- Establish, maintain, and/or organize files as needed for the efficient and effective operation of the department.
- Keep various records systems updated (such as mailing lists, etc.) and accessible as specified by the department Director.
- Answer phone as well as follows up on voicemails and emails by answering questions, taking messages or forwarding/transferring and/or following up promptly as appropriate.
- Opens, reads, sorts, and follows up on daily incoming department mail in accordance with SA policy and procedure, and any outgoing mail is sent promptly.
- Operates fax, copy, scanning machines working to keep all equipment in good operating order.
- Greet department visitors.
3.May be requested to proof read the work of others for correct spelling, grammar, and to ensure that Salvation Army format polices are followed and recommend revisions.
4. Project coordination as assigned (research, compiling / gathering information, conference planning/travel arrangements, etc.)
5. Assist with the coordination, set up (draft and distribute agenda and meeting minutes), and attend Service Extension Department staff meetings and other meetings as requested by the Director.
6. Complete personnel tasks as required including, but not limited to:
a) Compile, complete and report payroll (benefits, maintain attendance records)
b) Process all compliance documents (e.g., Criminal Background and Child Abuse Clearance, etc.), and report requests for employees and volunteers.
c) Assist the Director in the distribution, receipt, and processing of annual performance reviews and personnel updates (PAF).
7. Update Service Extension volunteer directory as received from Regional Managers.
8. Compile / coordinate monthly staff itineraries via shared Outlook Calendar
9. Must be willing to cooperate and willing assist as needed with main switchboard duties, building receptionist duties, and mail sorting as assigned and approved by the Service Extension Director.
The above list of job duties is not exclusive or exhaustive and the candidate will be required to undertake such tasks as may reasonably be expected within the scope of the post.
1. Bachelor?s degree or equivalent combination of education and at least 2-5 years of administrative experience.
2. Must be able to maintain and protect confidential information, to include confidential personal information that one might learn as a part of this position.
3. Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365: Word, Excel, Power-Point, Access, Outlook, Others preferred: Voligistics, SmartData, RedKettleWorker.org, RedKettleVolunteer.org, CampMinder (via CampLadore.org), MapPoint and other software / databases.
4. Typing speed of at least 40 wpm.
5. Must be highly organized and professional with demonstrated written and verbal communication skills and project management.
6. As a Mandated Reporter, must provide proof of having completed training on recognizing and reporting child abuse meeting the training standards of PA Act 153 of 2014 within 30 days of employment with recurrent training required every five years thereafter. Meets the Child Protection Clearances required by PA Act 153 to include PA Child Abuse History Clearance, PA State Police Criminal Record Check and FBI Criminal Record Check.
7. Must have an understanding of and appreciation for the Mission of The Salvation Army.
Contact: Please submit your resume and cover letter as instructed below.
External candidates interested in this position please apply online at http://careers.salvationarmy.org. Internal candidates interested in applying for this position please apply at http://internal-usesalvationarmy.icims.com.
No Phone Calls Please.
Released by the Divisional Human Resources Department on January 15, 2020
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
The Salvation Army will not hire any applicant for employment if the criminal background check reveals a conviction (or a guilty plea or plea of nolo contendre) for any sexual or violent crime. This policy is intended to help ensure safety in Salvation Army workplaces.
Requisition No. 1257