The position of Accounting Assistant is required to provide administrative and secretarial support to the various departments within City Hall. This position is required to provide accounting, typing, filing, scheduling of meetings, conferences, and the coordination of special projects. This position is required to be confidential when handling sensitive information. This position requires excellent interpersonal skills when dealing with the public and requires excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task in a busy office setting.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
1. Exhibit excellent customer service skills and is professional, accurate, and efficient when assisting customers and co-workers;
2. Assist all staff in the Recorder-Treasurer?s office;
3. The ability to assist the public, staff, and elected officials;
4. The ability to work with minimum supervision;
5. The ability to work independently or on a team;
6. The ability to work cooperatively with all team members to support achievements, goals, and objectives;
7. Understand and adhere to the policies and procedures of the City of Beckley;
8. The ability to use good judgment in the application of policies and procedures;
9. The ability to apply and explain related laws, ordinances, policies, and procedures;
10. This position requires excellent interpersonal skills and organizational skills;
11. Maintain confidentiality;
12. Responsible for various departments; this includes but is not limited to effective telephone and mail communications, both internally and externally, to maintain professional image;
13. This position is responsible for coordinating and completing significant special projects independently or in cooperation with various departments, as directed by supervisor;
14. Answer and direct incoming calls at the main reception desk, as needed;
15. Pick up mail in morning and deliver mail in evening, as needed, including FedEx and UPS deliveries;
16. The ability to assist with Accounts Receivable;
17. The ability to assist with Accounts Payable;
18. The ability to assist with Payroll;
19. Process purchasing requisitions, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and filing;
20. Delivery of deposits to local banks;
21. Prepare and manage correspondence, reports, and documents;
22. Responsible for accuracy and understanding of final copies before distribution;
23. Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word;
24. Organize and coordinate meetings, conferences, and travel arrangements;
25. The ability to operate office equipment;
26. Possess a valid WV driver?s license;
27. Perform all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards; ensure that proper safety and incident reporting procedures are followed; bring problems to the attention of the supervisor;
28. This position requires travel for the City of Beckley;
29. Other duties, as assigned.
Please note: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. The City of Beckley/City Hall reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities at any time, with or without notice.
· Customer Service Skills
· Ethical Conduct
· Personal Effectiveness / Credibility
· Technology / Computer Proficiency
· Organizational Skills
· Time Management Skills
· Technical Capacity
· Communication Proficiency
· Cooperation ? the ability to work well with others
This position has no supervisory responsibility.
This position is routinely in an office environment. This position routinely uses standard office equipment that includes, but is not limited to: computers, phones, copiers, scanners, filing cabinets, fax machines, and scanners.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
· This position is routinely in an office setting. The employee is regularly required to walk, talk, and hear. This position requires extended periods of sitting; this position also requires, lifting, stooping, reaching, pushing, pulling, and repetitive computer data entry.
· Employee must be able to lift thirty (30) pounds.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Employee may be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays. This position may be on-call for emergencies, inclement weather, and/or as needed.
This position may require occasional travel for training and/or professional development. This position requires travel within the City of Beckley, Raleigh County, and any other travel to be determined.
Required Education and Experience
This position requires excellent communication and customer service skills. In addition, this position requires a minimum of an Associate Degree in Accounting; five (5) years experience in an active office setting; or any equivalent combination or related education and experience. This position also requires proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Office, and Outlook.
Preferred Education and Experience
This position must have excellent communication skills and customer service skills. The preferred education for this position is a Bachelor?s degree with specialized course work in accounting, business or related field, and five (5) years of increasingly responsible-related experience, or any equivalent combination or related education and experience. The preferred experience for this position includes familiarity with City ordinances, rules, and regulations.
Safety and Equipment
Employee will follow established safety precautions when performing tasks and using equipment and supplies. Employee will clean and store equipment properly, when needed per policy.
Applicant must be able to successfully pass background and drug testing.
The City of Beckley is an EEO and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, martial status, pregnancy, disability, or because he or she is a disabled veteran.
Job Type: Full-time
- Accounting: 5 years (Required)
- Willing to undergo a drug testing in accordance with local laws and regulations
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Monday to Friday
- No weekends
- Day shift